Smooth and easy to drink with a sweet but not overpowering finish. Great scotch for the price.
Even though the distillery didn't open until 1810, the people of Jura were entitled to distil whisky for personal consumption, until a ban was introduced in 1781. As legend has it, Laird Archibald Campbell awoke in the middle of the night to see the ghostly figure of an old woman hovering over his bed. She berated him over the lack of the golden liquid on the island. It was this apparition that persuaded him to reverse his punitive measure and erect a distillery at an old smugglers' cave in the hamlet of Craighouse in 1810. But the distillery fell into disrepair and it wasn't until the 1960s when, in a bid to entice new inhabitants to the island, two local estate owners Robin Fletcher and Tony Riley-Smith rebuilt the distillery, employing architect William Delme-Evans. By 1963 their work was complete; they had introduced taller stills allowing the distillery to create an eclectic mix of malts, a feature that continues to help differentiate Jura from its island neighbours.