AppearanceDeep gold with a lovely mahogany heart.NoseIncredible concentration of aromas. Treacle toffee and chocolate orange.PalateA very dynamic and full bodied dram for its age. Chewy with coffee chocolate and treacle scones.ConclusionsA veritable feast to enliven the senses.
Glendronach was founded in 1826 by a business consortium headed by James Allardice. Allardice was an innovator and made Glendronach one of the first distilleries to use sherry casks to mature their whisky. This created a new flavour profile within the industry and therefore made it very desirable for drinkers and blending companies alike. The majority of the distillery was gutted by a serious fire in 1837, resulting in a full refurbishment. In 1852, Walter Scott, the former owner of Teaninich distillery in the northern Highlands, took control of Glendronach. He built the distillery up to the level so that by the mid 1860s, Glendronach was paying the largest amount of duty of any distillery in Scotland.