A straw gold colour and very fine bubbles. Its delicate hue comes from to the use of a high percentage of Chardonnay and of the first pressing only. The fine bubbles are due to a very noble raw material, a perfectly controlled temperature in the cellar – cool and steady – and to very long ageing in bottle.The first aromas reveal the citrus character of the Chardonnay : lime, grapefruits. Then red fruit aromas come out: redcurrant, raspberry, morello cherry – typical Pinot Noir. On leaving the wine to open up, candied fruits, even exotic fruits of Pinot Meunier appear with aromas of banana and pineapple. The palate is lively, thanks to the low dosage respecting the wines authenticity.The nose is confirmed by the first taste, citrus, almonds, toasted bread and "brioche”... but also redcurrant jelly, then dark fruits - cherry, fig or blackberry.On being aerated and warmer, the wine reveals the light taste of plum and pear. The palate is full, quite long, with a very clean finish. Elegance – but not without complexity – this wine perfectly illustrates what I call "the house style”.
Wine Maker Notes
This wine is the very expression of Champagne, made up with the three grape varieties we buy in over 30 specific localities, the result of judicious blending, because for any great Champagne, "blending" is the basic rule. It represents 60% of our sales and is thus the "flagship" of our house, the wine by which we are known and judged.
For us, Brut Première Cuvée must be of the very best quality and - much more difficult - must remain true to itself in years good or bad. To achieve this result, no effort is spared :
- We use wine of the first pressing only, hence the name "Première Cuvée" which describes this first pressing, the finest and the purest.
- We use a very high percentage of wine from the most noble grape varieties : around 22% of Pinot Meunier, for 33% of Pinot Chardonnay and 45% of Pinot Noir.
- We always add "reserve" wines, set aside in previous vintages.
- We mature the wine in bottle far beyond the legally required minimum period.
- As in all our Champagnes, the "dosage" (addition of sugar) is kept very low so as to produce as natural a wine as possible. Our Brut is as the word describes, not a demi-sec or even an extra dry...