Just outside the town of Doune in Perthshire the Deanston Distillery is located on the banks of the River Teith, which rises in the nearby mountains of the Trossachs. This is the historic center of Scotland, close to Stirling Castle, the Wallace Monument and Bannockburn. The buildings originally date back to 1785 and were designed by Richard Arkwright, the inventor of the spinning frame. The buildings originally operated as a cotton mill. During 1965-66 the cotton mill was converted, to a distillery by the Deanston Distillery Co Ltd, This included taking out four internal floors to accommodate the stills and other equipment. The distillery takes advantage of the same requirement for an abundant supply of water and for a controlled temperature and humidity in its storage cellar as used in the manufacture of cotton. In 1972 the distillery was purchased by Invergordon Distillers and prospered during the 1970s boom, producing a blend and a malt called "Old Bannockburn" The distillery closed during 1982 at the time of the great whisky lake.
Burn Stewart Distillers purchased Deanston in 1990 and have won export achievement and company-turnaround awards. For their efforts an interesting feature is the use of water-powered turbines as the energy source, something that was a familiar sight to those working Scotland’s distilleries a century ago.
The Deanston distillery has two pairs of stills with quite narrow necks with ball-shaped bulges, the Lyne arms slope slightly upwards and are arranged to encourage a reflux action to deliver a purer lighter spirit.
The enclosed, riverside warehouse’s, including one that lies beneath a garden, gives excellent conditions for aging malt whiskey. Home to the Deanston 12 year old Single Malt Scotch Whiskey and Scottish Leader Blended Whiskey, the offices of the distillery were upgraded substantially in 2006; firstly to turn it into the “Spiritual” home of Scottish Leader and secondly to improve significantly the hospitality and presentation facilities available within it.