94 Point James Suckling :Complex yet subtle aromas of licorice, minerals, blueberries and Indian spices. Full body, with super racy tannins and a gorgeous finish. It goes on for minutes. Cabernet, Merlot and Petit Verdot. Fantastic red. Sweet cherry, berry and cedar aromas and flavors hold court, while dusty tannins and bright acidity provide structure. Firm and dense on the finish, but a roast or a steak will take care of that. 1000 cases made.
Re di Renieri presents a purple-edged ruby red, so deep that it stains the glass. It releases aromas of blueberry, tanned leather, and nutmeg, then opens deep and concentrated on the palate, concluding with a velvet-smooth finish.
The Castello di Bossi is located in the commune of Castelnuovo Berardenga, on the road that leaves the old Chiantigiana road, at Pianella, and ascends to Brolio amidst evergreen forests and long rows of vines. With its centuries-old trees, its fossil beds, and richly varied native vegetation, this unique spot has always aroused curiosity, even in remote times, and experts have studied its characteristics. The name Bossi would seem to derive from the money chest which the Roman army would carry to its encampments to pay the soldiers; the word probably refers to the boxwood, a rare and prized wood at that time, from which the chest was built. Inscriptions dating from the 1st and 2nd centuries AD, discovered in an ancient wall of the canonry in San Marcellino, indicate that this area was the site of a Roman settlement. The first reliable evidence of families dwelling in the Bossi area dates to the 9th century, when a noble family, the dei Berardenghi, settled there. Winigi and his wife Richilda enjoyed a lengthy rule over the territories they owned; they then decided to withdraw into private life and donated to religious institutions their fiefs and properties. They kept, however, the properties which today surround the castle. Bossi was a specific locale and was mentioned as such in a 1099 donation deed by Azzo di Rustico to the monastery of Fontebona. Bossi’s church, dedicated to Sant’Andrea, was built later, possibly around 1200, to afford improved spiritual care to the inhabitants of the growing village. Contemporary documents reveal that vineyards already existed at that time, since a portion of rents and leases was paid in kind, wine being cited among the listed products. In the war between Florenceand Siena, Bossi was a bordering area; only after the battle of Montaperti did economic activities recover their normal level. This was made possible by construction of new roads and facilities or improving the safety of existing ones, all aimed at re-establishing commercial links. Existing castles were renovated, but Bossi’s tower was not affected.
The Renieri tenuta, or winery estate, comprises 128 hectares in the southern quadrant of Montalcino, on slopes that face Monte Amiata. Thirty hectares of vineyards are planted at an elevation of 350-420 metres, their exposures forming an arc from southeast to southwest. Following the grubbing-up of the old vineyards, new vines were planted in 1998, at a density of 6,000 vines per hectare. The yield at just one kg. per vine, the equivalent of one bottle of wine, entails the least stress per plant and ensures perfectly ripened fruit, and thus optimal quality. The principal grape variety at Renieri is obviously Sangiovese. A lengthy process of vinification and maturation transforms this raw material into the classic Brunello di Montalcino. But varieties that are more international and less common in this area, such as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Syrah, and Petit Verdot, have also found their perfect habitat at Renieri. Blends of these varieties make up two different IGT wines whose highly-respected quality prove that Sangiovese is not the only grape that flourishes in the Montalcino zone. In addition to these IGT wines, an important niche is reserved for Rosso di Montalcino, a wine distinguished from Brunello, its elder brother, by its hallmark early approachability, the result of a less complex ageing process. The local soils are largely volcanic, with strata of schistous limestone and rock. Classic to the area are soils made up of the reddish terra rossa, clays, and calcareous tufa.